The OpenDNS Connector runs a sync against Active Directory to return a list of AD users, groups, and computers. This list is then posted securely to the Umbrella Dashboard so they can be used for policies and reporting.
You can check which objects have been synced to the Dashboard by editing your policy in 'Policies > Policy List'. The first step of the policy wizard shows which Identities are available.
All users/groups missing from Dashboard
If all users are missing from the Identities tab this indicates that the AD sync has not taken place.
There are a number of potential reasons for this:
- Active Directory integration has not been configured, or the OpenDNS Connector is not installed. See the documentation.
- The OpenDNS connector service is installed but not working. The most common cause is that ldifde.exe (used to perform the AD sync via LDAP) is not installed. Please view the pre-requisites.
- The OpenDNS connector is unable to contact the Domain Controller on the required ports.
- There is a problem with the OpenDNS_Connector user account (which is used for the sync). The password entered during connector installation could be incorrect or the account may be locked out.
- There is a permissions error that prevents OpenDNS_Connector user from reading the directory via LDAP.
For more information, please contact Umbrella support with the Connector logs.
New users/groups missing from Dashboard
The Connector frequently syncs with Active Directory to determine if there has been any changes to the directory - again this is done using LDAP. If there has been a recent change a full LDAP sync is then performed. As such it can take several hours for new users/groups to take effect in the Dashboard.
If new users are never appearing it could be due to a couple of problems:
- The OpenDNS_Connector account does not have permission for 'replicating directory changes' which is required for us to monitor changes in AD. Ensure that the OpenDNS_Connector is a member of the 'Enterprise Read-Only Domain Controllers' group to assign the correct permissions.
- The connector was able to sync previously, but is now unable to. See the above steps in this article.
Specific AD Groups are missing from Dashboard
We recommend to create your own AD groups for use within Umbrella policies.
Domain Admins, Domain Users, and a number of other 'default' groups are excluded from the sync. Many well known groups associated with background software (such as Exchange, SQL, and WSUS) are also excluded from the AD sync.
The AD sync is working, but some users/groups/computers are always missing
Check that the OpenDNS_Connector user has permission to 'Read' information from the objects that are missing. In Active Directory all objects (including users, groups and computers) have their own ACL permissions to determine who can read their attributes. For more information please check the following article: Permissions Troubleshooting