Roaming Computers get their name from the hostname of the machine they're installed on. If the machine's hostname changes after installation, it won't be automatically synced to Umbrella. The name given to the Roaming Computer does not affect functionality and does not have to match the machine's hostname.
This can be confusing, especially in automated mass-deployment scenarios where the hostnames for multiple machines are changed shortly after installation.
- Umbrella Roaming Client
- Umbrella Roaming Security module for Cisco AnyConnect
A new solution has been introduced for the roaming client. Requirements: Windows version 2.1.127+ MacOS 2.1.39+.
Steps to re-register clients under the current name:
- Delete the entry on the dashboard
- Restart the roaming client service or reboot the machine
- The client will re-appear with its current hostname
You can also update the names of your Roaming Computers manually by uninstalling and reinstalling the Roaming Client/Roaming Security module, or by renaming it in the dashboard.
If you know the name it's currently using, you can update it in the dashboard by following these steps:
- Navigate to Deployments > Roaming Computers.
- Search for the Roaming Computer you want to rename and click it to expand the details.
- Rename it and click Save.
If you don't know the name it's currently using, please generate a diagnostic report from the Roaming Client/Roaming Security module and provide our Support team with the report. Ask them to let you know the name that is currently registered so that you can find it and change it.