Roaming Computers get their name from the hostname of the machine they're installed on. As of Janurary 2020, the dashboard will automatically update any roaming computer display names to match the current hostname of the computer. This will exclude any roaming client entries which were previously manually changed.
Therefore, some of the information in this article has been depreciated, but is still included for posterity reasons.
Products affected by this documentation's steps are:
- Umbrella Roaming Client
- Umbrella Roaming Security module for Cisco AnyConnect
You can update the names of your Roaming Client/Roaming Security Module by one of the following methods:
- Manual name change
- Re-register method [depreciated - no longer required]
Manual name change method
If you know the name it's currently using, you can update it in the dashboard by following these steps:
- Navigate to Deployments > Roaming Computers.
- Search for the Roaming Computer you want to rename and click it to expand the details.
- Rename it and click Save
Simply uninstalling and re-installing the roaming client will update the name. This works for both the Anyconnect Roaming Security Module (AC-RSM), and the Standalone Enterprise Roaming Client (ERC)
Re-register method [depreciated - no longer required]
Steps to manually re-register clients under the current name:
- Delete the entry on the dashboard
- Restart the roaming client service or reboot the machine
- The client will re-appear with its current hostname
Closing - Further issues
If you don't know the name it's currently using, please generate a diagnostic report from the Roaming Client/Roaming Security module and provide our Support team with the report. Ask them to let you know the name that is currently registered so that you can find it and change it.