Updated: 25 Sep, 2023
We are excited to announce the limited availability of the new Cisco Security for Chromebook client, which replaces the old Cisco Umbrella Chromebook Client (DNS) and SWG Umbrella Chromebook Client. This new client offers a unified solution, providing both DNS and SWG layer protection for Chromebooks from a single client. With this update, you only need to deploy one client to safeguard your Chromebooks from malware, phishing attacks, and other threats.
The Cisco Security for Chromebook client is a Chrome browser extension that leverages DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) to provide enhanced protection and performance for Chromebook devices. Developed in close partnership with Google, the client ensures best compatibility and addresses the need to migrate Chromebook client to the new Google MV3 (Manifest V3) API framework from the old MV2 (Manifest V2) APIs. This is important because the MV2 APIs are being deprecated.
For more information on the deprecation of the MV2 APIs, please see the Google documentation: Manifest V2 support timeline
How it works
Cisco Security for Chromebook client delivers DNS & SWG layer protection from the same client. DNS protection is provided by sending Chromebook’s DNS traffic to Umbrella DoH resolvers, while SWG layer protection is provided by setting up a secure web proxy on the Chrome browser. Umbrella SIG customers also have the option to enable or disable SWG for their orgs for Chromebooks.
- Collaboration with Google: Crafted through partnership with Google, ensuring best compatibility and top-tier performance.
- Enhanced Security Features: Added support for custom block pages, safe search, and intelligent proxy (features that were unsupported in the previous generation DNS client).
- Unified Client Experience: Unify DNS and SWG (Secure Web Gateway) layer protection into the same client, streamlining your security strategy.
- Selective SWG Enablement: SIG customers that wish to enable just DNS Protection (DoH) for Chromebooks can optionally disable SWG for their orgs.
- Faster Page Load Times: Thanks to DoH, the new client offers faster and more effective browsing experience.
For both Umbrella DNS & SIG customers, Cisco Security for Chromebook client will be the only client needed going forward. Depending on the license type, SWG functionality is enabled on the client.
Customers that have the Umbrella Chromebook Client (old DNS client) installed will need to migrate to the new Cisco Security for Chromebook Client. Customers that have the SWG Umbrella Chromebook Client (old SWG client) will be automatically upgraded to Cisco Security for Chromebook client. More on this can be found under the “Migration Scenarios” section in the LA Documentation.
The updated LA user guide for the new client can be found here: Umbrella SIG User Guide and Umbrella DNS User Guide. Since the documentation is still in draft, please migrate to other sections of the guide from the bottom of the “Get started” page.
How to Participate
To participate in the limited availability (LA) program for the new Cisco Security for Chromebook client, please follow these steps:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest in joining the LA program.
- Once approved, you can refer the documentation for detailed instructions on installing and configuring the new Cisco Security for Chromebook client.
- To provide feedback or report any issues during the LA period, please send an email to email@example.com
To ensure smooth participation in the LA, following needs to be checked:
- Compatibility: Verify if the Chromebook can be upgraded to Chrome OS (Operating System) version 110 or higher. Use the Chrome OS Supported Builds to check this.
- Auto Update Status: You can also confirm your Chromebook's Auto Update Expiration status by referring to this Google Article: Auto Update Expiration.
For assistance or inquiries, our support team is here to help. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your participation and feedback will help us ensure a smooth transition and improve the overall experience of the new client.
We appreciate your support and look forward to your participation in this exciting new release!