This article explains how you can customize the UI for the Umbrella roaming client on both Windows and Apple OS X so that you can hide the interface from your users. You can do this to either to reduce tampering attempts or simply to have a cleaner interface for your workstations.
To customize the UI, the administrator runs the installer via the command line with some additional arguments.
- Download the Windows installer .zip file to the roaming laptop.
- Extract the archive.
- Open up a console and navigate to the newly extracted directory—the .json or .plist file must be present in the same folder.
- Launch the installer using via msiexec, adding the desired customizations (detailed below).
The Installer should run as normal.
Without a client-side user interface
The Umbrella roaming client can be installed without a client-side user interface and remain fully functional:
msiexec /i Setup.msi HIDE_UI=1
Without an entry under Add/Remove Programs
The Umbrella roaming client can be installed without a listing in Add/Remove Programs:
msiexec /i Setup.msi HIDE_ARP=1
Without a client user interface AND without listing the Umbrella Roaming Client in Add/Remove Programs
The Umbrella roaming client can also be hidden from the Add/Remove Programs dialog with the HIDE_ARP argument:
msiexec /i Setup.msi HIDE_UI=1 HIDE_ARP=1
Uninstalling with no UI
To uninstall the Umbrella roaming client in this state, use the following command from an Administrative Command Prompt:
wmic Product where name='Umbrella Roaming Client' call uninstall
Apple OS X
1. Download the Mac installer .zip file to the roaming laptop.
2. Extract the files.
3. Open OrgInfo.plist in your favorite text editor and modify the <key>InstallMenubar</key parameter from <true/> to <false/>.
4. Run the installer as normal.