One may want to have the ability to manually disable and enable the Umbrella roaming client at will. This can be for testing purposes, or because someone wants the ability to turn it off in an emergency situation or if they are experiencing a bug.
This feature is currently only available for Mac OS X. You can disable the Umbrella roaming client manually on Windows, but there is no ability to add an option in the tray icon dropdown.
In order to display a "Disable" option in the menu bar icon's dropdown, and subsequently an "Enable' option if manually disabled, perform one of the following.
This assumes you have not yet installed the Umbrella roaming client to the target machine, and want to make sure this option is available after installation.
- Download the Umbrella roaming client from the dashboard, extract the .zip, and open the OrgInfo.plist file with your favorite text editor.
- Add the following two lines just before the last two lines of the file (</dict> and </plist>).
Note: Make sure to keep the indentation of the new values in line with the other values in the same file.
- Install the Umbrella roaming client as normal.
This assumes you have already installed the Umbrella roaming client, and want to display the disable/enable option to the user without reinstalling the Umbrella roaming client.
- Open the following file with vim or your preferred text editor:
Note: You must use "sudo", because modifying the file requires administrative privileges.
sudo vim /Library/Application\ Support/OpenDNS\ Roaming\ Client/Updater.plist
- Add the following two lines just file before the last two lines of the file (</dict> and </plist>.
Immediately after you save the file, a "Disable" option will show up in your tray icon:
Once disabled, the text changes to reflect that the Umbrella roaming client is disabled, and you have an option to Enable: