At the end of the trial period, if you have not purchased the software, your free trial is automatically downgraded to a Premium DNS account. Premium DNS is the most basic Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS) offering and has far fewer features than our enterprise Umbrella offering.
DNS resolution is not impacted, and DNS resolution will not be cut off. However, some changes do happen as part of the downgrade.Many features limited to subscribers are removed upon the expiration of a free trial. Again, to re-iterate: DNS resolution continues to function even after the free trial has expired. Internet connectivity is not lost and websites will not cease resolving upon the completion of your free trial.
- Your statistics in the reports continue to be logged as before (including security categorizations).
- Access to the Cloud Services and Destinations reports are removed.
- Policy enforcement is removed:
- Category settings are no longer applied.
- Security settings are no longer applied. All security events will be allowed.
- All policy settings are hidden and deactivated. These are restored after subscribing to an Umbrella package.
- Only Networks can be managed from the dashboard—all other identities are hidden*.
- No Block pages are displayed—Premium DNS accounts do not block any traffic.
* NOTE: All Umbrella roaming clients not deleted from the dashboard before the free trial endS will continue to sync the internal domains list as defined at the end of the free trial. No modifications to the internal domains list can be made after the free trial expires (if you require a modification, and will resubscribe, write us at email@example.com and if not planning to resubscribe please uninstall the Umbrella roaming client from your endpoint computers). Importantly, existing internal domain resolution will not be affected by the expiring of a free trial.
BENEFITS OF PREMIUM DNS
If you would like to continue to use the Premium DNS service instead, this service has the following benefits:
In real-time, all internet activity is logged and categorized through eight security threat types or 60 types of Web content. You can search, filter, and export up to 14 days of global or per-network activity.
You won’t experience broken or slow connections when using Umbrella. Umbrella uses Anycast routing — every data center announces the same IP address, so requests are transparently sent to the fastest available with automated failover. Over 85 million active users and 12,000 businesses trust Cisco every day to ensure DNS resolution is consistently fast and reliable.
Premium DNS is designed to offer visibility into threats on networks which are enforced upon subscribing to an Umbrella package. For more information on Premium DNS, see our data sheet here.