Preparing the Umbrella Roaming Client for inclusion in a disk image
When the Cisco Umbrella roaming client is installed on a new computer, a unique Device ID is created during the registration process.
If you are preparing an image which is saved after the Umbrella roaming client registration process has completed, the unique Device ID will also be cloned, and all Umbrella roaming clients will receive the same policy and report as the same identity in the Umbrella dashboard. Thus, it's essential to follow the procedure below in order to manage the Umbrella roaming client and receive reports.
AnyConnect Umbrella Roaming Module:
- Deploy AnyConnect with the Umbrella module present to your image as normal. Do not deploy or include OrgInfo.json at this time.
- Include the distribution settings for OrgInfo.json into the ASA group policy. This will push the OrgInfo.json file to the host post imaging. Note, it is important to not trigger this OrgInfo.json push until after the image is deployed.
- Deploy the image normally.
- Computers receive OrgInfo.json via ASA Group Policy.
Standalone Roaming Client:
These steps simply ask you to install the Umbrella roaming client while ensuring the workstation is offline, thereby preventing the roaming client until a unique Device ID to match the hostname.
- Ensure you have the latest version of the Umbrella roaming client by downloading it from the Umbrella dashboard.
- Prepare your image as normal, but exclude the installation of the Umbrella roaming client.
- When your image is ready (without the Umbrella roaming client), disconnect the computer from the network by either disabling the network adapter (wireless or wired) or physically unplugging the cable (wired).
- Install the Umbrella roaming client, leaving it unregistered.
- Finalize your image while the machine remains offline.
The desired result the Umbrella roaming client will register as soon as the target computer is powered on for the first time, automatically creating a unique device ID.
Note: The hostname of the computer must be unique in your network in order to register properly!