This article will help you use Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) to deploy the Cisco Umbrella roaming client to machines on your network that are managed by ARD.
You will need to download the most recent version of the Umbrella roaming client for OS X from within your dashboard. If you have downloaded a previous version, please re-download the package.
- Navigate to Identities > Roaming Computers.
- Click the (Add) icon.
- Under Mac OS X Client, click Download.
- Extract the zip file from the download and in the extraction folder you should see two files:
- OrgInfo.plist—This is the information that identifies your roaming computers as part of your Organization
- RoamingClient_MAC_1.4.5.pkg—This is the 1.4.5 release that allows you to install with ARD. You should be installing v1.4.5 or newer; the file name will reflect the version.
It is possible to make the installation package 'silent' so the icon is not present in the Menu bar. For more information on customization of the .pkg file before deployment with ARD, read this article:https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230560967-Hiding-the-Umbrella-Roaming-Client-User-Interface-Customization-
Stage 1 – Preparing ARD to copy OrgInfo.plist to the target workstation
- In ARD, select the computer(s) you'd like to deploy the Umbrella roaming client to. It's best to start with a single representative workstation for testing in case of any trouble.
- Next, set up a new Copy task for those machines.
- Select the OrgInfo.plist file from the extraction folder as the file to copy. Under "Place Items in:", you'll want to specify the full path:
- When you're asked to specify the full path on the remote machine, enter:
/Library/Application Support/OpenDNS Roaming ClientYour copy screen should look like the following. In this example, the target machine is named 'sunshine'.
- Execute the Copy to the remote machine, and you should see a completion of the copy within a few seconds.
Stage 2 – Deploying the package file to the target workstation
- Next, we'll want to stage the pkg to install.
- Select the RoamingClient_MAC_1.4.5.pkg from the extraction folder, and for options, select the default options (unless you have a specific reason not to do so).
Your Install should look like this:
- Click Install and provided that you are able to otherwise install software packages (pkg) on the workstation in question, you should see a progress bar.
Then after a period of several minutes, you should see success. The duration of the installation interval depends on the speed and physical location of the machine.
If you see issues completing the installation, the most typical errors will be tied to not having successfully copied the .plist originally.
Error Message: "Validating packages" means that the OrgList.plist was not copied successfully to the correct folder in Stage 1 above.