Purpose and Overview
Some customers have found that using the VMXNET Generation 3 (VMXNET3) adapters in VMWare for the Virtual Appliance works better in their environment. The VMXNET3 adapter can provide better performance due to less overhead compared with the traditional E1000 NIC. Umbrella doesn't have a specific recommendation one way or the other, however the VMXNET3 configuration is supported.
What to do
NOTE: The steps below will change the MAC Address. If you need to keep the same MAC with the new VMXNET3 adapter then you you should make a note of the E1000 MAC prior to removing it. When creating the new adapter you will need to change MAC Address to Manual and put in the original E1000 MAC
In order to switch your Virtual Appliance from the previous adapter to use the VMXNET3, follow these steps:
- Power off your Virtual Appliance in the VMWare Console
- Right click the Virtual Appliance, go to Settings
- Select Network Adapter 1 and click Remove
- Click Add and choose Network Adapter
- Choose VMXNET3 under type
- Choose the proper network
- Click Next then Ok
- Power on Virtual Appliance in the VMWare Console
Check both within the VA Console and on the Umbrella Dashboard for any errors communicating with Umbrella Resolvers.