This article is targeted at those who wish to implement automated testing methods for upcoming roaming client releases. At this time, roaming client updates occur automatically in several release waves with no option to delay or defer releases. By default, most are on the final (fourth) wave of release. To determine your release wave, contact us at email@example.com.
This article will discuss implementing an automated beta or release candidate testing plan. Cisco Umbrella commits to a span of 30 days minimum between release candidate release and final wave of production release for any feature releases, allowing sufficient time for any desired testing. Exceptions may be made for critical security fixes or single targeted bugfixes.
Notification of new releases
Cisco Umbrella currently has implemented two methods for notification of new releases.
- Release notes for Umbrella software portal. Sign up for email notifications of each new release (Umbrella account required).
- Dashboard notification. Direct notification on the dashboard when a release is coming to your organization.
Implementing a testing plan
Here at Cisco Umbrella, we have two testing plans available: Manual and automated. See the subsection below on how to early access test the roaming client.
Implementing manual testing
For reach roaming client release to release candidate, visit the roaming client release notes which contain instructions on how to obtain a preview copy of the new client version. See "Notification of new releases" above to learn how to be alerted when new releases are ready. Perform any testing desired during the minimum 30 days before the final wave of production release. To confirm you are on the final wave, contact Umbrella Support.
Important information for MacOS
For MacOS, one additional step is required to manually test a release posted to our release notes. Place the file in the earlyaccess-macos.zip file attached to this support article into the following folder before installing the new version. This step is required if you are receiving a test build from Umbrella support directly. Just looking to test new versions? Use the automated testing plan below.
/Library/Application Support/OpenDNS Roaming Client
When testing is complete, remove this file to restore a production environment.
Implementing an automated testing plan (recommended)
The Umbrella roaming client has client-side functionality to elect the machine to receive a preview build, either beta or release candidate. The machine will receive updates at the desired preview until the override is removed. Sign up for release notes notifications to learn when upgrades are being released. Release notes are not published for the beta release. To apply the automatic upgrade override:
- Create a file named upgrade_track.flag with the file contents containing just the following text depending on which update preview you are enrolling in.
- Beta releases:
- Release candidate releases:
- Alternatively, download the zip file containing the appropriate upgrade_track.flag file attached at the bottom of this article.
- Beta releases:
- Place the file in the configuration directory:
/Library/Application Support/OpenDNS Roaming Client/
- Confirm that the file name is upgrade_track.flag and not upgrade_track.flag.txt if file extensions are hidden.
- Restart the roaming client service to apply immediately, or wait for the next device restart
- This computer will now receive preview releases!
- Perform any testing desired during the minimum 30 days before the final wave of production release. To confirm you are on the final wave, contact Umbrella Support.
- Can I continue using an older client version indefinitely?
No. The roaming client will auto upgrade.
- Can I set a roaming computer to receive the beta release from within the dashboard?
Not at this time. Clients may be set to the beta release via a local override file only.
- Do you always post release notes?
Yes, for all releases at the release candidate or production level. Release notes are not posted for beta releases.
- What if I wish to return a machine to receiving the production release? Will it downgrade back to production?
Just delete the override file. The client will not auto downgrade; however, it will not receive any further preview releases.
- How long do I have to test new releases?
The final wave of the roaming client will be released at least 30 days after a release candidate. Contact Umbrella Support to ensure you are on the final wave. Non-feature releases such as security updates may release more quickly as required.
- I have more questions, where can I ask?
Open up a support case from your Umbrella Dashboard or shoot us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.