This article discusses managing your registered roaming client entries for computers which are no longer active in your organization. To remove these clients, a two-step process is required because deleting clients by the last sync time filter is currently disabled due to a known issue. Deleting by last sync filter is still possible with the following two steps.
Deleting roaming clients from the Umbrella dashboard is a great way to clean up old clients. Deleting a client from the dashboard will not uninstall the client. Deleting an active client will cause the client to automatically re-register at next start and re-appear safely on the dashboard. Note, policies attributed to roaming computers will need to be re-applied after re-registration.
Step 1: Tag
The first step in bulk deleting roaming clients by last sync filter is to log into the dashboard and open the Deployments -> Roaming Computers page. This step requires the latest roaming client management page, rolling out between April-May 2019. To proceed with the deletion steps:
- Perform the filter for last sync time
- Select all results using the tick box on the left hand side
- Click "Select All" to select all clients in the entire organization matching that filter
- Use the add tag button to apply a new tag to these users. We suggest something like "DeleteMe"
Now, you have successfully tagged all roaming clients to be deleted. There is currently a limitation of about 1,000 clients to bulk apply tags to, so this may need to be done in batches. Once complete, continue to the deletion step.
Step 2: Delete
Above, the "DeleteMe" tag was just added to all machines that are targeted for removal from the Umbrella dashboard. To continue deleting these clients from the dashboard:
- Apply a search by the tag "DeleteMe" from the Advanced Search
- Select all clients on the page
- Select all clients on the organization with the additional select all button
- Use the delete button to remove these registrations from the dashboard.
- Note, any currently active clients will re-register on their next startup.
That's it! You have now successfully removed your roaming clients which have been inactive for your desired length of time.