What to check before going to support:
There are some easy troubleshooting steps that we recommend following before opening a support case:
- It is always a good idea to take a quick search through our deployment documentation as well as this support portal before opening a case. Oftentimes the answer will be within one of these articles anyways.
- If you are having issues with Active Directory, try checking out these prerequisites
- If you are having issues with Virtual Appliances, this is where you can find some helpful troubleshooting steps
- If your issue is regarding Umbrella Roaming Clients, here is the troubleshooting guide to check before opening a support ticket
- Are you having trouble with policies? Here are our best practices for policy creation.
- Lastly we recommend checking the status portal for all of Umbrella. Here you will find:
- Current status information of all our core services, including APIs, DNS, Dashboard, Investigate, Roaming Clients, Security Services, and Virtual Appliances.
- Simple color-coded availability information
- Regional status information
- Historical status timeline
How to Open a Support Ticket
You have several options when it comes to contacting our support team.
- You can email email@example.com
- You can also contact umbrella via the dashboard. Click on Admin > Licensing to view support contact information:
3. Lastly you have the option to open a support case within this portal. In the upper right-hand corner you will see a blue "Submit a request" link. Click on that and you will be able to provide all the details required.
- Here you will also be able to see all of your opened support cases, or cases you're cc'd on and track them.
What to Include in a Support Case
A Clear Description of Issue
Our support team needs as much detail as possible in order diagnose and resolve the issue you are experiencing. This includes screenshots of the behavior and detail so we can replicate what is happening in your environment. Please also ensure you clearly explain when this issue started, as well as how many people are being affected by the problem.
Useful details can be gained from answers to questions like:
- When did the problem first start?
- Was it ever working and stop at some point?
- Does it align with any changes or updates?
- Does it impact all users?
- If only some users, are there any similarities among the affected group?
- What are the OS, browser and software versions involved?
- Is it reproducible at will or sporadic?
Diagnostic and Log Information
This piece of your support case is crucial. We need to know the technical details of what is happening, and that requires running the diagnostic on an affected machine. We have written a comprehensive guide for the diagnostic tool which includes clear instructions for running the diagnostic. Please only put the URL of the diagnostic, do not copy and paste the entirety of the results.
For DNS diagnostics go HERE.
If you are using our Secure Web Gateway (SWG), there is a separate diagnostic tool that we need you to use. The linked article includes troubleshooting steps as well as our diagnostic tools that we need for SWG specific issues.
For SWG diagnostics go HERE.
In addition, we would like the following information depending how how your SWG is connected:
- Your Organisation ID
- Tunnel ID
- Tunnel Name
- SIG DC IP and Location
- IPsec Egress IP
- IPsec Client Device and Version number
- Date and time the issue(s) occurred
AnyConnect Roaming Security Module with SWG:
- Dart Bundle
- Date and time the issue(s) occurred
A packet capture (https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230563547-How-to-Capture-Network-Traffic-with-Wireshark) as well as max debug dart bundles logs(https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043386131-Cisco-Anyconnect-SWG-How-to-enable-the-max-debug-logging-) may also be requested later on as troubleshooting advances.
Impact Level and Description of Impact
In order to best support you we need to know the severity of the issue, so we need to understand the full impact the issue is having to your business. We need to understand not only how many people or business units are affected, but also if there are any upcoming milestones for your company coming up. For example, if you are moving to Umbrella from a different solution and your other subscription expires on a certain day we need to know if that deadline is coming up.
If the impact of the issue is so severe that immediate attention is required, please engage Umbrella support via phone rather than email.